Tuesday, January 26, 2016

When in Rome...

si fueris Rōmae, Rōmānō vīvitō mōre; si fueris alibī, vīvitō sicut ibi
Apparently the Iranian President is unfamiliar with the phrase, when in Rome do as the Romans do. When the Iranian President visited Italy the nude statues were covered to show respect to the Iranian culture and sensitivity. I'm sorry, when I visit someone's house I do not require them to change their ways. Italy is the center of art and much of the art is related to the human form. I understand being sensitive but I do not understand shunning your culture to placate another. If it was that big of a deal, hold the meeting somewhere else. Signing a business deal, meet in a business venue. I'm not saying meet in a room of nude murals and statues, flaunting Italian art that would be offensive, but no need to cover up what is part of Italian history and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment